Powered by Blogger.

Labels

Advertisement

Blogger news

Contributors

Categories

Blog Archive

Categories

Tuesday 19 March 2013

The last Englishman to win European player of the year, in 2001, Micheal Owen announced to retire from professional football at the end of the season. Currently plying his trade in EPL with Stoke City, Owen featured for Real Madrid in 2004-2005 season. Despite having a good goal scoring record, he was never able to establish himself at the Barnabeu . He was sold to Newcastle where he played four seasons. He later played for Manchester United as well before joining Stoke but was never able to recapture his form which made him the poster boy of world football a decade ago.

Owen who has just one goal for Stoke this season is the fourth highest scorer for England with 40 international goals. He has 220 Club goals to go with that. Owen had following to say on his retirement:

"It is with an immense amount of pride that I am announcing my intention to retire from professional football at the end of this season,"
"I have been very fortunate in that my career has taken me on a journey I could only have dreamed of.

"None of this would have been possible without the tremendous support I have received from managers, coaches, fellow players, back-room staff, the supporters and my own personal sponsors. I would like to thank each and every one for the huge role they have played in helping me reach the top of my profession.

"Most of all though, I would like to thank my family. To my beautiful wife Louise, for her continued love and support through the many ups and downs in my career and for affording me the most precious gift of all, our children.

"To my Mum who has always taken the brunt of my frustrations yet continues to keep our family so tight-knit, a trait that has formed the foundations of my own success.

"Her dedication to me and my brothers and sisters is immeasurable. I'd like to thank Terry, Andy, Karen and Lesley for being so understanding and creating the perfect environment to grow up in.

"Last but not least, my Dad. We did it my old mate! From those freezing local parks to terrorizing the best defenders in the world on the biggest stages of all. I couldn't have done it without you."

We will leave you with some of the best goals of Micheal Owen:


0 comments:

Post a Comment